Snow Day Cancellations / Delays
Otsego Public Schools is located in a rural part of West Michigan so the potential for snow days is a reality for us. However, winter weather is never the same, so making the decision to close or delay school isn’t an easy one and it is not taken lightly. As a school district, our mission is to educate our students, so we hope to have school each day; however, our students’ safety is a priority and we will make our snow day decisions with their safety in mind.
On mornings when the weather looks to be questionable, the superintendent and transportation supervisor both take to the roads on different areas of our district to assess conditions. We take a number of things into consideration when determining whether or not to close school. (The document below is more specific on each of these items.)
- Road conditions (ice, deep snow, unplowed)
- Forecasted conditions
- Temperatures and wind chill
They travel the roads between 4:30-5:00am. We aim to make decisions by 5:30am and no later than 6am. It is rare that we will close the night before. It might happen, but with the unpredictability of Michigan weather, a lot can change by the morning.
We will alert you to school closings or delays in many ways. This assures us that if one channel fails, several others are in place to alert you:
- Phone alerts from Otsego Public Schools (be sure your contact information is updated in Infinite Campus)
- Otsego Public Schools app will send out a push notification (the app is free on iTunes, and Google Play)
- News stations (WWMT, WOODTV 8, FOX 17)
- OPS Facebook page
- OPS Twitter Page
Things to think about:
- It is Michigan, so snow-covered roads aren’t enough to close school. We encourage all of drivers to slow down, give themselves extra time to get to school and be careful throughout the winter months and in any inclement weather.
- Conditions vary across the district. Our district covers 85 square miles so there will be times when road conditions where you are located are better or worse and might seem out of sync with the decision made.
- Our superintendent makes the best decision with the information at hand at the time.
- We will not have a 2-hour delay on a delayed start Wednesday; it is possible, however, that we would close. That decision might be made later than usual in the morning.
- Plan ahead, think about daycare plans now. Also know that our BASE program is open, unless otherwise specified, on snow days. All BASE students should report to Dix Street Elementary on snow days.