We're excited to offer two weeks during the year that are dedicated to academic support and enrichment for our students. The first Intersession Week will be October 21-25; the second is February 17-21.
February Enrichment Offerings
**NOTE: Registration for all activities, other than WMU and Bittersweet are now closed. We have extended the registration for the WMU College Trip and Bittersweet Ski/Snowboarding trip to Thursday, February 13th.
Elementary Enrichment: Monday - Thursday, 8:30-11:30am - $40/person
Each day is a new adventure in fun for our elementary students. They'll enjoy:
- Robotics Day
- Lego Extravaganza
- Engineering Experiments
- Roller Skating Field Trip
Middle School Only Offering (for 6th - 8th grade students)
Master Chef / Home Basics
Monday - Thursday, 8:30-11:30am, $40/person
- Back by popular demand, Mrs. Pompileo will show students basic cooking skills and how to contribute to your household along with kitchen safety and DIY home projects! Class minimum is 6, maximum is 15; if registration exceeds 15, we will open a second session to run 12:00-3:00pm.
Middle & High School Enrichment Offerings (for 6th - 12th grade students)
E-Sports at Western Michigan University
The world of E-Sports is exploding at the college level and now, our students have the chance to get in the game at Western Michigan University! WMU is offering Otsego 6th-12th grade students two sessions to learn more about E-Sports - the arena, design, etc. with a final competition built in for students and spectators. Minimum of 6 is needed, maximum is 24. Students can do one or both sessions. Bus leaves OHS at 9:15am and returns at approximately 2:40pm each day.
- Session I: Leadership & Communication - Monday and Tuesday, February 17 & 18, time 10-2 p.m., Cost: $60.
- Session II: Teamwork and Winning Mindset - Wednesday and Thursday, February 19 & 20, time 10-2 p.m. - Cost: $60
- Friday: Tournament! - Free for students who attended at least one of the sessions. Parents are welcome to come in and watch the final day to see what it’s all about. Kids will have the option of forming a team and playing, doing commentary, or running the arena! They’ll explore tournament day during their sessions.
Let's get outside and enjoy the great winter weather of west Michigan! Enjoy one or both of our outdoor adventures!
- Skiing/snowboarding at Bittersweet Ski Resort - Tuesday, February 18th, 10-2 p.m. (Bus leaves OHS at 9:30 a.m.) The cost is $30. Includes lift ticket, rental and group ski lesson. The cost is the same if students have their own equipment.
- Ice Skating at Millennium Park, Portage - Thursday, February 20, 12 pm - 2pm. (Bus leaves OHS at 11:15 am. The cost is $30. Skate rentals are an additional $3. Minimum of 15 students.
High School Only Offering (for 9th - 12th grade students)
College Visits - $10 per person per visit
It’s never too early or late to explore your post-graduation options! We’re excited to offer two new college visits for this February Intersession Week.
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College - Tuesday, February 18th, 9am-10:30am.
(Bus leaves OHS at 8:15am)
Lunch will be on their own in the KVCC Food Court. They can request a sack lunch from school, bring their own, or bring money to purchase lunch on site. Bus returns at approximately 11:45am.
- Western Michigan University - Wednesday, February 19th, 10am-12pm.
(Bus leaves OHS at 9:15am) Lunch included at a dining hall.
The two Intersession Weeks are similar to summer school in that they offer opportunities for students who might be struggling in a particular subject to get individualized help. Having them during the school year, before the trimester is over, will offer them the opportunity to get caught up earlier before falling further behind and waiting for summer.
*Students will be notified by their school toward the end of January. It will be by invitation and based upon winter assessments in reading at the elementary level and math at the secondary level.