Board of Education
BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY POSTING
Otsego Public Schools will have a vacancy on its Board of Education effective October 24, 2023. Any interested individual applying for the vacancy should submit a letter of interest and resume to the Office of the Superintendent, 400 Sherwood Street, Otsego, MI 49078, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline to apply: October 9, 2023 at Noon
- Interviews will take place at a selected date and time between October 10 and October 23 in the Administration Office Board Room, 400 Sherwood Street, Otsego MI 49078.
- Resident of Otsego Public School district
- Candidate cannot be employed by Otsego Public Schools
Characteristics of an Effective School Board Member
- A thoughtful, sincere and deliberate approach to the position
- A constructive attitude towards teamwork
- The willingness to spend the time necessary to be well-informed on the issues
- The ability to represent the entire community
- The temperament to respond accordingly and appropriately through challenging events
- The willingness to listen thoughtfully to others
- The willingness to express one’s own opinion and participate in discussions openly and
- The maturity to respect the confidentiality of privileged information
- The willingness to model continuous learning
- The willingness to abide by and support the board operating procedures
- The ability to identify, recommend and encourage prospective candidates
If you possess the above characteristics and have a passion for student achievement, you’re what we are looking for to represent the district.
ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE INTERVIEWED IN PUBLIC BY THE BOARD
The seven members of the Otsego Board of Education stand behind, and work toward, fulfilling the district's Strategic Plan. The Board of Education keeps your children in mind as it makes the tough decisions regarding funding, staff, curriculum and outside activities. Despite the challenges schools face today, the Otsego Public Schools Board of Education is focused on what's best for our students.
Our board members are elected for six-year terms; members are elected in November of even years.
Shelly Jirgens, Vice President
Term Expires: December 31, 2026
Mike Keeler, Trustee
Term Expires: December 31, 2028
Public Comment at Board of Education Meetings
The Board of Education welcomes members of the public to speak at its public board meetings and hearings regarding the meeting agenda items and on education in general. Please complete a public comment request form 15 minutes prior to the scheduled Board meeting. Hard copy forms are available in the Administration Office at 400 Sherwood Street, Otsego, Michigan, and may be obtained prior to the Board meeting from the Board of Education Secretary. Each registered speaker will have three (3) minutes to make their presentation.
You must speak on the topic for which you have been registered. The Board will not engage in a discussion on the comments at that time, but will follow up if needed.
Your adherence to these guidelines will enable the public comment process to move smoothly.
Otsego's Board of Education and the Otsego Public Schools district hold its policies with Clark Hill, PLC and were adopted on February 7, 2022. If you have any questions, call the Superintendent's office at 269-694-7902.
All Board of Education meetings are held at 7:00pm in the Board Room in the Administration Office, 400 Sherwood St., Otsego, MI 49078, unless otherwise posted.
Meetings of the Personnel, Finance & Operations Committee and the Policy and Student Handbook Committee are held at 7:15 a.m. in the Board Room located at the Otsego Public Schools Administration Office, 400 Sherwood Street, Otsego, Michigan, unless a change is posted prior to a meeting.
Meetings of the Curriculum & Technology Committee are held at 5:45 p.m. in the same location as the Board Regular Meeting each month, unless otherwise posted.
For additional information, please call the Superintendent’s office at 269-694-7902.