In light of the onset of winter weather and the recent school closings and cancellations, I would like to review the procedures Otsego Public Schools follows whenever poor weather hits the area. Student safety, whether driving or riding the bus, is our number one consideration.
Prior to making any decision we:
1. Check the weather forecast in the morning through a variety of media outlets;
2. Check with the Director of Transportation for road conditions;
3. Drive the roads within the district; and
4. Make contact with several neighboring districts.
Factors considered in determining whether to close schools are:
2. Stopping distance required for safe driving;
3. Dry, wet, and/or icy road surface (especially intersections);
4. Amount of snow already on the ground and/or drifting;
5. The weather forecast;
6. The temperature; and
7. The wind chill.
On some occasions, our Area Educational Service Agency (AESA) contacts the Allegan County Sherriff’s Department or Michigan Department of Transportation.