(Medium Advanced to Advanced Level of Difficulty)
Open by audition, to those students with an advanced proficiency on a band instrument, symphonic band members are expected to participate in marching band including: summer band camp, parades, show performances, as well as all sectionals.
After marching band season, the marching band will divide and meet in a concert setting for the remainder of the year. Objectives include the continuation of the development of correct playing habits, sight reading, performance standards, intonation and phrasing. This course expects students to perform very challenging wind band literature to the highest standards.
The Symphonic Band will perform in MSBOA District and State Band Festivals as well as other band activities. In addition to the regularly scheduled concerts, Symphonic Band members are encouraged to participate with the pep band for the Boys' basketball season. Private lessons are strongly recommended.
- To provide each student with a workable knowledge of music so that they may enjoy, understand and participate in the aesthetic experience communicated through music.
- To provide the highest degree of music performance at school or community functions as well at special events.
- To provide each student the opportunity of expression, individually and within a group.
- To help each student develop self discipline.
- To promote school spirit.